Friday, February 13, 2015

First Research Blog Post - Daniel Rodriguez


Trockel, M. T., Barnes, M. D., & Egget, D. L. (2000). Health-related variables and academic performance among first-year college students: Implications for sleep and other behaviors. Journal of American College Health, 49(3), 125-31. Retrieved from http://0-search.proquest.com.libcat.uncw.edu/docview/213027515?accountid=14606


Research done on a random sample of 200 first year college students revealed links between students behavioral habits and their respective GPA. This includes reference to nutrition although according to the journal very little research has been done specifically regarding college students nutrition. It instead refers to research done on younger grade school students. The journal states:


“Although the effects of eating breakfast10-12 and other nutritional variables on elementary students'13 academic performance have received much attention in the literature, little information on the effects of nutritional habits on college students' academic performance can be found. One reported study involving university students, however, showed improved immediate recall and spatial memory as a result of eating breakfast.11.”   

This document while not the most useful, contains information about what besides nutrition can affect students GPA’s giving me a better background for the information I write about. The other sources I found did not include information like this. This paper also gives me a better perspective on the other research I may come across. It contains many useful references in case I wish to explore any information related to student habits and its effect on their GPA. It would be better if this document contained more data straight from research but the third source I found (bottom of page) contains a lot of this "hard data" I need compensating for this sources lack of it.



Health and medicine; new diet and nutrition study results from free university described. (2014). Health & Medicine Week, , 3219. Retrieved from http://0-search.proquest.com.libcat.uncw.edu/docview/1477463336?accountid=14606

This short article explains how weight and health behavior in students correlated with their attendance of exams and academic performance. The results were interesting. It showed that often male students who consumed more french fries throughout the semester or whose waist size increased over the course of that school year failed to attend more exams and therefore suffered academically. This is a short article but contains useful information and directly relates to the main topic of my research which regards the effects of student nutrition on academic performance. This article is actually a summary of someone elses research so it may not be the most credible piece of work.It does however bring to light some interesting paints that the other research I found doesn't include.     



Deliens, T., Clarys, P., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., & Deforche, B. (2013). Weight, socio-demographics, and health behaviour related correlates of academic performance in first year university students. Nutrition Journal, 12(1), 162. doi:http://0-dx.doi.org.libcat.uncw.edu/10.1186/1475-2891-12-162

This source has a lot of useful data that directly relates students eating and health habits with GPA. The data will be useful in supporting the case we will make in our report. This data is particularly useful because it breaks up eating habits into categories including vegetables, fruits and eating location among other things. It provides actual statistics which the other sources lacked. It briefly explains its findings and has multiple useful quotes that will come in handy when writing the paper. I wish I could have found more sources containing this type of "hard data". but as the fist source references, "Little information on the effects of nutritional habits on college students' academic performance can be found."  My topic,"The effect of students diet on academic performance" has turned out to be quite difficult to do research on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment